It’s been a while since the last update (since before Megacon!). I know, I’m the worst. But I’m here now to show you that I can be a little less terrible by giving you a big, long, detailed update on what’s going on in NB Comics Land. Or maybe I’ll just give you the gist if my fingers are tired of typing. Let’s just wing it… you know how these things go…
First is great news on the Facebeast front. The long-awaited Facebeast #2 is completely done! Finally! In fact we were able to print some advance copies for HeroesCon (more on that later) and it’s already getting a great response! It took a bit of all nighters in the last couple weeks, but we can finally put this one on the shelf! We’ll be adding the comic to our online store very soon, and you’ll be able to purchase it in either physical or digital form… or both! You should do both! You know, for the full experience. After that we’ll be working hard to get it in a few local shops in Tampa Bay, Orlando, and possibly more! We’ll keep you updated on all of that in the near future.
On the convention front, we just got done with HeroesCon in Charlotte, NC. It was our first time at the legendary convention, and we had a great time! It was certainly awesome to sell comics and prints, but most of the fun came from meeting new people and hanging out with friends! Here are some of the highlights from the weekend:
- Kate and I met one of our favorite artists from the Penny Arcade show Strip Search, Abby Howard. She was an absolute delight, and is super hilarious if you didn’t already know that. I managed to snag one of her Naughty Mystery prints (one of her elimination comics from the show), and Kate got her to do a commission of Facebeast which can be seen below. Isn’t she just the greatest? The answer is yes, yes she is.
- In addition to Abby’s commission, we got commissions from other great artists including Joel Carroll, Mike Maihack, and Meghan Hetrick.
- We hung out with our friends at Fine Print Shoppe for Taste of Charlotte, a local food event. Did I ever mention those guys are our oldest con buddies? Well they are, and they are super rad.
- MERT’S CORN BREAD!
- The annual art auction was an interesting experience. Kate donated a piece which sold for $150, not too shabby.
- COOK OUT!
- The discovery and abuse of Vine on the road trip up to the con. Seriously, we shouldn’t be allowed to operate a camera.
Speaking of operating a camera, I think now is a good time to announce a new thing we’re gonna do. It is tentatively titled Drink and Draw With Josh and Kate! Essentially this is just going to be us getting drunk in front of a camera and drawing something for fun. Not all of the details have been worked out yet, but we’re going to try to start doing this a few times a month and upload the resulting episode to our currently dormant YouTube channel. At first we will probably pick a theme for every episode, but we may be open to taking suggestions in future episodes. We are scheduled to record our first episode this weekend, and I have no idea how this is going to turn out. OH GOD, I HOPE THIS DOESN’T TURN INTO A COMPLETE DRUNKEN MESS.
I think that’s about all I’d like to mention in this update. There are plenty of new developments happening, but none of them are ready for announcement. Check out our updated convention schedule on the right to know where you can see us, and be sure to check out (and “like”) our Facebook page if you haven’t already.
Thanks for reading!